|VoIP: PSTN > IP Transition|
- TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS; AT&T PETITION TO LAUNCH A PROCEEDING CONCERNING THE TDM-TO-IP TRANSITION. Granted in part and denied in part a challenge filed by Public Knowledge and the National Consumer Law Center to AT&T's designation as confidential certain information in its Proposal for Wire Center Trials. (Dkt No. 13-5 12-353 ). Action by: Chief, Wireline Competition Bureau. Adopted: 01/07/2015 by ORDER. (DA No. 15-22). WCB https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-15-22A1.docx
- STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER MIGNON L. CLYBURN, TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS PRESENTATION by Statement. OCMC June 16, 2014
- COMMISSIONER ROSENWORCEL STATEMENT ON TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS PRESENTATION by Statement. OCJR June 16, 2014
- Released: 05/23/2014. WIRELINE COMPETITION BUREAU SEEKS COMMENT ON VCXC PETITION FOR NOTICE OF INQUIRY ON THE MIGRATION TO HD VOICE. (DA No. 14-713). (Dkt No 13-5 ). Comments Due: 06/23/2014. Reply Comments Due: 07/08/2014. WCB . TXT
- Protecting Consumers in the Transition from Copper Networks by: Julie Veach, Chief, Wireline Competition Bureau May 7, 2014
- TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS; AT&T PETITION TO LAUNCH A PROCEEDING CONCERNING THE TDM-TO-IP TRANSITION; CONNECT AMERICA FUND; STRUCTURE AND PRACTICES OF THE VIDEO RELAY SERVICE PROGRAM; TELECOMMUNICATIONS RELAY SERVICES, ET AL. Authorized voluntary experiments to measure impact on customers of technology transitions in communications networks. (Dkt No. 13-97 10-90 12-353 13-5 10-51 03-123 ). Action by: the Commission. Adopted: 01/30/2014 by ORDER. (FCC No. 14-5). WCB http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-14-5A1.docx
- Released: 01/31/2014. CONSUMER AND GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS BUREAU ANNOUNCES WORKSHOP ON RESEARCH INITIATIVE ON IP-BASED RELAY TECHNOLOGIES. (DA No. 14-117). (Dkt No 14-19 ). CGB http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-14-117A1.docx
- Released: 05/10/2013. TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS POLICY TASK FORCE SEEKS COMMENT ON POTENTIAL TRIALS. (DA No. 13-1016). (Dkt No 13-5 ). OGC TXT.
- Tom Wheeler, The IP Transition: Starting Now, Nov. 19, 2013
- At next month’s Commission meeting on December 12, the Technology Transitions Policy Task Force will present a status update with the expectation that the January meeting will include consideration of an Order for immediate action. That Order should include recommendations to the Commission on how best to: (i) obtain comment on and begin a diverse set of experiments that will allow the Commission and the public to observe the impact on consumers and businesses of such transitions (including consideration of AT&T’s proposed trials); (ii) collect data that will supplement the lessons learned from the experiments, and (iii) initiate a process for Commission consideration of legal, policy, and technical issues that would not neatly fit within the experiments, with a game plan for efficiently managing the various adjudications and rulemakings that, together, will constitute our IP transition agenda.
The draft Order should include recommendations to the Commission on how best to speed the initiation of experiments and assess, monitor, measure, and analyze their outcomes. How consumers are informed and protected should be a major component. In addition, the Order should explain how the Commission can best obtain accurate and useful information about the technology transition from multiple resources that could include collaboration with other federal, state, and tribal agencies, public input through crowdsourcing, and leveraging outside expertise and advisors. And it should set forth the best process that the Commission can initiate so that, in parallel, it may decide the legal and policy questions raised by this network revolution.
- Comments: [45 days after publication in the Federal Register] Reply Comments: [75 days after publication in the Federal Register]
- Released: 05/24/2013. COMMENT CYCLE ESTABLISHED FOR TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS POLICY TASK FORCE PUBLIC NOTICE REGARDING POTENTIAL TRIALS. (DA No. 13-1216). (Dkt No 13-5 ). Comments Due: 07/08/2013. Reply Comments Due: 08/07/2013. WCB . http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-1216A1.doc
- "The Technology Transitions Policy Task Force (Task Force) proposes to move forward with real-world trials to obtain data that will be helpful to the Commission. The goal of any trials would be to gather a factual record to help determine what policies are appropriate to promote investment and innovation while protecting consumers, promoting competition, and ensuring that emerging all-Internet Protocol (IP) networks remain resilient. We seek comment on several potential trials relating to the ongoing transitions from copper to fiber, from wireline to wireless, and from time-division multiplexing (TDM) to IP. The Commission has a long history of using trials and pilot programs to help answer questions regarding technical concerns and to gather data and develop appropriate policy recommendations. Indeed, the Commission recently unanimously authorized a 6-month trial to examine providing interconnected VoIP providers direct access to telephone numbers. Stakeholders have also requested that the Commission initiate trials to explore technology transition issues."
- STATEMENT FROM FCC CHAIRMAN JULIUS GENACHOWSKI ON PROPOSALS FOR TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS TRIALS. STMT. News Media OCHJG http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320879A1.docx http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320879A1.pdf http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320879A1.txt
- STATEMENT OF FCC COMMISSIONER MIGNON L. CLYBURN ON TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS POLICY TASK FORCE TRIALS. STMT. OCMC http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320877A1.doc http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320877A1.pdf http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320877A1.txt
- STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER JESSICA ROSENWORCEL ON THE TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS POLICY TASK FORCE PUBLIC NOTICE SEEKING COMMENT ON POTENTIAL TRIALS. STMT. OCJR http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320878A1.doc http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320878A1.pdf http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320878A1.txt
- STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER AJIT PAI ON THE TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS POLICY TASK FORCE'S PUBLIC NOTICE. STMT. OCAP http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320876A1.pdf http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-320876A1.txt
- GN Docket No. 12-353: Transition from legacy transmission platforms to services based on Internet Protocol (IP) Released: 12/14/2012. PLEADING CYCLE ESTABLISHED ON AT&T AND NTCA PETITIONS. (DA No. 12-1999). (Dkt No 12-353 ). Comments Due: 01/28/2013. Reply Comments Due: 02/25/2013. WCB . DA-12-1999A1.doc DA-12-1999A1.pdf DA-12-1999A1.txt
- AT&T Petition "AT&T respectfully asks the Commission to open a new proceeding to facilitate the "telephone" industry's continued transition from legacy transmission platforms and services to new services based fully on the Internet Protocol ("IP"). Specifically, AT&T asks the Commission to consider conducting, for select wire centers chosen by incumbent local exchange carriers ("ILECS") that elect to participate, trail runs of the transition to next-generation services, including the retirement of time-division multiplexed ("TDM") facilities and offerings and their replacement with IP-based alternatives. These trials will help the Commission understand the technological and policy dimensions of the TDM-to-IP transition and, in the process, identify the regulatory reforms needed to promote consumer interests and preserve private incentives to upgrade America's broadband infrastructure."
- Petition of the National Telecommunications Cooperative Association for a Rulemaking to Promote and Sustain the Ongoing TDM-to-IP Evolutions, GN Docket No. 12-353, Nov. 19, 2012 ("In its petition for rulemaking, NTCA urged the FCC to promote regulatory certainty and sustain the ongoing evolution of the nation’s communications networks to IP-based infrastructure by providing targeted, thoughtful regulatory relief and establishing economic incentives to spur greater deployment and maintenance of IP-enabled networks.")
- Released: 03/14/2013. FCC PROVIDES PANELIST INFORMATION FOR THE FIRST TECHNOLOGY TRANSITIONS POLICY TASK FORCE WORKSHOP. (DA No. 13-432). (Dkt No 13-5 ). OGC . http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-13-432A1.doc
- National Broadband Plan Recommendation 4.10: The FCC should clarify interconnection rights and obligations and encourage the shift to IP-to-IP interconnection where efficient.
- Third Report Compiled by "Study Group on Next Generation IP-based Infrastructure" -- Toward Smooth Transition from PSTN to IP-based Networks Aug. 10, 2005
- FCC Releases New Telephone Subscribership Report,” August 13, 2013
- ATIS PSTN Transition Focus Group Assessment and Recommendations Report
- ATIS Webinar Network Evolution - PSTN in Transition
- A National Plan for Migrating to IP Enabled 9-1-1 Systems, The National E9-1-1 Implementation Coordination Office, September 2009
- Telecom Service
- Internet Interconnection
- Common Carriage
- See Policy and Rules Concerning Rates for Competitive Common Carrier Servs. and Facilities Authorizations Therefor, 77 F.C.C.2d 308, 359 (1979): "In 1979, the FCC initiated an inquiry into the benefits and methods of deregulating common carrier services. In its Notice of Inquiry and Proposed Rulemaking, the Commission observed that the communications industry had changed greatly since passage of the Communications Act in 1934; in particular, technological innovations had led to the introduction of diverse and possibly competitive services. The Commission feared that 's regulations imposed unnecessary costs and created barriers to entry, thereby diminishing both the variety of services avail- able to the public and the possibility that a truly competitive marketplace would develop." [Nichols 504]
- TW Telecom VoIP Interconnection Petition 2006
- BellSouth Seeks Declaratory Ruling that State Commissions may not regulate broadband Internet Access Services by requiring BellSouth to provide such services to CLEC Voice Customers. (DA No. 03-3991). (Dkt No 03-251). Comments Due Jan 15; Replies Due Jan 30, 2004.
- DSL Copper Loop Retirement
- Network Information Disclosure (carriers providing notices of discontinuance of copper)